1. Only GSA approved shredders may be used for destruction of Secret, Confidential and SBU information.
2. Residue must not exceed 1/32" in width by 3/8" in length.
3. Classified material, Secret or higher, must be logged into the Security Information Management System (SIMS) data base and a Certificate of Destruction must be printed prior to destruction.
4. One witness is required to observe the shredding of Secret material. Certificate of Destruction must be signed by witness and individual destroying the material.
5. Two witnesses are required to observe the shredding of Top Secret material. Certificate of Destruction must be signed by witnesses and individual destroying the material.
1. All classified and controlled material must be placed in a burn bag. Material classified SECRET or higher must be accompanied by a Certificate of Destruction. (Witness will sign the Certificate of Destruction certifying the release to OSY, not the actual burning of the material).
2. Burn bags may be obtained through the GSA catalog (NSN 8105-00-130-4586 or 8105-00-702-6849).
3. The material is then taken to room 1060 (Package pickup/drop off) and released to the Office of Security (OSY) staff person on duty.
4. Room 1060 is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM.
For additional information, contact Security Staff at 202-482-8355.